Wednesday 29 February 2012

Starting out Module 2!


I had a bit of a panic starting this module. I'd decided the topic of inquiry I'd chosen from the 1st campus session; Should professional colleges be doing more to bridge the gap between education to becoming a working professional? Was just a bit too close to home. Though I definitely think it's along the lines of an area I'd like to explore, investigate and improve, I just felt that with that particular question I'd have too many personal opinions and would find it hard to collect data from a neutral place.
I then had a brainstorm for other possible lines of inquiry, but found that I was so focused on finding an end topic that I didn't find it that helpful. So I went back to the start. Read the Reader and module handbook again and realised I was making it much too complicated for myself. To begin all I had to do was to write down a set of questions relevant to my practice... Simples!!

  • Is being a Performer a respected profession? Who by and if not why?

  • Degree or Diploma- Most Colleges now offer both, but does it make a difference in this industry?

  •  How to survive the resting period post drama school. Create some sort of helpful guide, possible book for others. 
Well there are a few aspects to my practice that I find interesting. Will see where they lead me!!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Hannah,

    I can completely relate with you. I too get ahead of myself and start to make things far more complicated than they need to be! Perhaps this is the 'perfectionism' that comes with being a performer!

    With regards to your questions....

    Is being a performer a respected profession? Most people you speak to (outside of the entertainment industry) think it is fascinating and extremely interesting, but whether they respect it in the same way as a Doctor or Lawyer, I have to say I doubt it. I recently came back from working on a cruise ship and it was clear there were some negative feelings towards the Performers from the other departments. To them we simply dance around on the stage for a few hours a day and we get paid great money and have lots of priveleges. What they dont realise is all the hard work that has been put in to get to this point!! We have spent our whole lives dedicated to this, it isn't just something you fall into, you train intensely and invest your wholeself into it. Perhaps if this background was known then we would be more respected outside of the industry??

    Degree or Diploma? In our industry I think qualifications mean nothing! I think it is where you trained, your agent and you talent that will get you through. Not whether you have a degree or diploma. However, I am at the point now where I wish my school had offered a degree and not just a diploma. This links with the preparation schools give for long term careers!

    I found your questions really interesting and I'm looking forward to reading more :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Hannah,

    I'm looking into auditions for my enquiry, and the area between being a student and becoming a professional. I feel that we would fit into the same SIG group! I would love to hear what you have to say about "bridging the gap".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hannah you have a number of different topic areas here.

    1. Is being a Performer a respected profession? Who by and if not why? how can this b applied to your own practice - what is the context you could could use with this inquiry question? why are you asking?

    2. Degree or Diploma- Most Colleges now offer both, but does it make a difference in this industry? Interesting - which industry? Musical theatre? there is a lot of competition for jobs and the type of educational experience might lead individual to differing career paths - how are university programmes different than Trinity diplomas? Again why do you want to know? How will this help you in the work that you do or intend to do?

    3. How to survive the resting period post drama school. Create some sort of helpful guide, possible book for others. We had a very good student look at the resting period a few years ago that we could discuss - pre-blog I'm afraid - but career lulls and surviving them is something that many performers experience. Is this linked to what you are experiencing? How would you go about exploring the topic?

    ReplyDelete